Titus has always been one of those curious books in the Bible to me. It seemed as if it would be really cool because of it's name, but I never took the time time understand what's in it. Now I have.
Before really studying the book of Titus we should know who Titus is. He is a faithful man who was left in Crete by Paul to set things in order and to ordain elders. In fact, he was converted by Paul, traveled with him, carried the Corinthian letters to Corinth, often visited Paul in prison, and was sent on missions. At this point I am surprised that I have never heard much about Titus. Oh well. This letter is to help Titus get the saints in Crete in order. Titus is made a bishop and given many instructions from Paul.
Paul goes through a list of qualities that a bishop should possess. I think it would be a good idea if all saints possessed most of these as well. It's like a list you can go to when you know you need to work on something. Here it is: blameless, not self-willed, not easily angered, not given to wine, not abusive, not given to filthiness or greediness, loves hospitality, loves good men, sober, just, holy, temperate, holds fast to the word, subject to principalities and powers, obey magistrates, ready for good works, don't speak evil of man, gentle, shows meekness, is baptized and receives the Holy Ghost. What a list! My favorite point is to be ready for good works. I feel like sometimes in my life I am not ready to serve. I think, "oh I can serve later. I don't have time or thought for that now." This shouldn't be. We should always be ready to serve and help each other whenever we can. We just have to make the time.
As it turns out Titus was given a pretty steep job. The Cretans were not the kindest of people. In fact, sometimes their name is still used to describe someone who is greedy or seems inhuman in their actions. Some problems listed are: unruly, vain talkers, deceivers, teaching false doctrines for money, liars, evil beasts, slow bellies, defiled and unbelieving, deny God in works, and disobedience. Learning more about slow bellies we find out that they would get as much money as they could so they wouldn't have to do anything and could just sit around and eat, giving them large bellies. This sounds awful familiar to me... I feel as if we often have many of the same problems in our world today. It's like Titus was sent to us.
So Paul gives him some counsel. He tells him to speak of sound doctrine that it may make the aged sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, charity, and patience. The hope then is that the aged will teach the young. He believes that this can happen through sound doctrine. That's amazing! It's just like President Packer says, that true doctrine changes behavior. I love this! I am learning about the doctrines of the gospel right now and it's true. They make me want to change what is wrong in my life. Especially after I learn about Christ's sacrifice. As it turns out, he sacrificed himself for me. He saved me. I cannot be saved except through his mercy, it is the only way. If he was willing to do that for me, how much more should I be willing to do for him? That's what I take away from this doctrine. I love what I have learned through this gospel!
This is mostly what I found Titus to be about. It is some very good advice from Paul. I don't know a lot about history, but someday I hope to know how well Titus succeeded. He must have been a great man spending so much time with Paul. I'm grateful for his willingness to serve even in difficult circumstances. It inspires me to serve more.
No comments:
Post a Comment