Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faith and Abraham through Paul

In Romans 3-5 we learn a lot about faith, grace, and good works. In these chapters we learn that man is justified through faith and not through works. It is purely through faith in Jesus Christ and what he has done that we can come to stand before God and be justified, wiped clean. However, we cannot discount works. Romans 2:13 tells us that doers of the law shall be justified. We are not justified because of our workings in the law but rather because what we have done has caused us to have faith unto repentance to become justified. Paul tells us "glory, honor, and peace to every man that worketh good works" (Romans 2:10). Through faith in the grace of Christ we can become rid of the fallen man, but through good works we can become like unto God. So it's not that we only need either faith or good works. We need both. However, we must realize that none of it is possible without the grace of Jesus Christ. Without his sacrifice we would be no where and have nothing. We would be fallen and the Plan of Salvation would not have been realized. It is essential!
While teaching about faith Paul used the example of Abraham. First of all, Abraham was a righteous man and had faith without being circumcised, which would have been a good point for their arguments back in that time. However, Abraham plays another important role in faith. When Abraham was about 100 years old and his wife about the same he was told that he would have seed through his wife Sara, who was close to the same age. Sara had never been able to have children. So how could it be? Paul tells us that Abraham "staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in the faith, giving glory to God"(Romans 4:20). Wow! This is why Abraham is used as an example! Most of us can in some way relate to this story. We have known those who have been unable to bear children and we can see how it may be easy to lose faith that you will ever have children. The circumstances of Abraham and Sara are amazing! They still believed! Abraham and Sara to me are the ultimate example of faith. What more could you want? They are simply amazing!
So how does this story (Romans 4:19-22) relate to my life? I actually have a recent experience relating this story to my life. Not too long ago there was an article in the Ensign with this story. I had skipped over the article, but one day one of my roommates told me how much she had enjoyed the article. So I skimmed through it. I reached the story of Abraham and Sara and decided to read it. In my life for the past little while I have been given a challenge. I have come upon a situation that I have often tried to get out of because it sometimes causes me pain. To get out of it I would just have to push it from my mind and move on, which of course is much more difficult than it sounds. However, the pain I have felt has been great enough that I have been willing to do it. So I often pray for strength in pushing this from my mind if it is right. I have made decisions and proceeded and begun on my course. However, within just a few moments of these decisions and prayers I have received the knowledge that it is not time for me to move on and push things from my mind despite the pain I feel. I feel that things will be ok. The hard part is that I don't know how. The situation doesn't seem like it will ever work out in any way that will be ok with me continuing. I ask myself why and how. I cannot see the end. This is where Abraham and Sara come in. They could not see the end. They did not understand how, but they knew that it must be and that the Lord would keep His promises. So they had faith! They had faith that the Lord has power to do all things! Even when it seems impossible He can come in and make it possible! I do not know how or even what is supposed to happen in my life, but I can testify that the Lord knows. He has a plan that sees a lot farther than I can. His plans began a long time ago and they may continue well into the future. However, because of the faith of Abraham and Sara I can say that His plans will be fulfilled. I can have faith! I can know that no matter how I feel now the Lord has a plan for me. I feel assured that it is a plan of great joy and happiness for I know that there is opposition in all things and the only thing that can follow such pain for such a period of time can only be great happiness. I don't know how or in what form that happiness will come, but just as Issac came I know that it will come. That is why the story of Abraham and Sara means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment